John Payne, Sports Guy


Thursday, January 19, 2006

Davis To The Defense

As bizarre as it seemed, these things seem to happen around Larry Brown.

Brown was the coach of the Detroit Pistons during the November 2004 brawl between Detroit, the Indian Pacers, and a handful of drunken fans. Last night, the New York Knicks' Antonio Davis climbed over the scorers table and went into the stands during the game. But this was not some drunken fan making a lucky loss with a beer cup:


"I witnessed my wife being threatened by a man that I learned later to be
intoxicated. I saw him touch her, and I know I should not have acted the way I
did, but I would have felt terrible if I didn't react. There was no time to call
security. It happened too quickly."
Davis stayed in the stands until security was able to get to the scene, and then he peacefully returned to the bench and took his seat before being ejected with 1:04 left.

Antonio Davis, by irony or coincidence, is president of the NBA players' association.

- Knicks' Davis goes into stands to protect wife, ejected from game (San Jose Mercury News)

Posted by J. Cleveland Payne @ 5:23 AM   0 comments
---------------------------------------